Each publication has a Table of Contents. Here, teachers will see the list of assigned items to be completed for the week along with additional resources. There are two different views when inside the Table of Contents, the Table of Contents Overview page and the content within a week.
Open each tab below to learn more.
The Overview page shows the titles of the Units, Weeks, Articles, Activities, Crossword, Misspelled, Weekly Assessment, Customized Content, Unit Assessment, Rubrics, and Extended Reading Articles (online only). Not all weeks will have each item.
The following options apply to every level of the publication on the Overview page.
A. Quick Navigation: Allows users to quickly access a week within the publication.
B. Teacher Resources: Quick access to the HTML version of the Teacher Resources for the publication. When selected, it will open in a new browser tab.
C. Actions Menu: Allows teachers to Revert to Original, Refresh the Table of Contents, Clear My Progress, toggle On or Off content in the publication.
D. OFF|ON: This button is used to toggle off or on all the units and content within each unit.
E. Expand/Collapse Caret: Click the caret next to a unit or week title to view weeks in a unit and content in a week.
F. Reorder Units/Weeks/Articles: Click and drag the move arrows to reorder units, weeks, or articles.
G. Toggle: Allows you to hide individual units, weeks, and content from student view.
- Clear My Progress will remove the selected answers, highlights, and notes a teacher has created while in Student View of the content.
- Refresh Table of Contents will collapse all open weeks.
- Revert To Original will revert units, weeks, and articles back to the original order. It will also reset all toggles to the “on” position.
Some options only apply to certain levels in the publication. Once a Unit and a Week are selected the additional options become visible.
A. Hyperlinks: Click a hyperlink to open directly to the article/activity view.
B. Add Customized Content: Below a week, at the bottom of a unit, you will see a button to add customized content (see the How to Create Customized Content article).
C. Week Level PDFs: When available, click links to view Printables, Weekly Assessment, Student Edition, or the Teacher Edition. Hovering over each item will tell you what it is.
D. Actions: The actions menu will give you different options at the publication unit, week, and article and assessment levels.
- Unit: At the unit level, the Actions menu provides the option to Clear My Progress, which erases all answers, highlights, and notes from all content in the unit.
- Week: For each week, the actions menu allows you to move the week to a new position, clear your progress, mark a week as optional, or share it to Google Classroom.
- Article or Activity: The articles and activities within each week can be marked as optional.
- Assessment, Crossword, Misspilled, Customized Content, Rubrics, or Extended Reading Article: These three options can also be marked as optional or removed.
Opening a week within a publication will show you all the content, resources, and important features.
Once a publication has been selected, choose the content you would like to view.
- Click on the caret of a Unit to expand and view the weeks.
- Click on the caret of a Week to expand and view the content in the week. (If you click the hyperlink it will open the week.)
- To view more features, select a piece of content under the week.
A. Quick Navigation: Dropdown box to change weeks within the chosen publication.
B. Teacher Actions:
- Copy Link: Copy a direct link to the article. This link can be opened by anyone who has a Studies Weekly Online account and is in a classroom with access to the publication.
- Print: Print content from within the week.
- Printables: If available, will open in a pop-up window to view printable resources.
- Teacher Resources: Opens a pop-up window to view the HTML Teacher Edition. The Teacher Resources may include additional materials such as Lesson Plans, Printables, related media, and Explore More Media (see the How to Access and Navigate the Teacher Edition article).
- + Customized Content: Teachers can create Customized Content by editing their own copy of existing Studies Weekly Online content. It will prompt you to create a new copy, which you can find on the Customized Content page.
- Share LINK with Google Classroom: Share the item to your Google Classroom.
- Answer Key: Will provide answers to Article Questions, Crosswords, Misspilled, Customized Content, and Assessments.
C. Rate the Article: Click a star next to the title of the item (in the blue bar) to open a pop-up window where you can leave feedback about the article.
D. Navigation: Sub-navigation bar that allows the teacher to click/view more content or use the Edit button to reorder the content.
E. Location: This shows you where you are and has hyperlinks that will take you back to different sections of the publication.
Use the move arrows to reorder content or mark as optional just like on the Table of Contents Overview page.
Each item will also have the following:
- Student View: View what a student will see in the article, including the article content, questions, and media. In Student View, teachers have the same functionality as students, they can select answers and leave notes. Use the Clear My Progress feature on the Overview page of the Table of Contents to erase answers and notes.
- Grade: View and grade student submissions related to the week (visit the Grade Section of the Help Center.)
- Highlights: See which sections students have highlighted and where they added comments (visit the How To View Student Highlights article).
- Statistics: See an overview of how students performed on article comprehension questions, activities, and assessments (visit the How to Monitor Student Article Questions article.)
At the bottom of the screen, under the item content you will see:
- Explore More: Explore More contains media such as videos, images, and audio, which often contain questions related to the media. Not all articles will have an Explore More section.
- Save and Submit buttons: A student can save their work during Activities, Assessments, and Vocabulary Reviews to finish later or submit to the teacher.
- Previous and Next Buttons: Click to navigate quickly through the articles for that week and get to the assessment or vocabulary reviews.
Within the articles, activities, and assessments students and teachers can have the text read to them or expand their view using our audio and display options.
- Reader Mode: Expands the article to fit the entire screen. This is only available in Articles, Activities, and Customized Content.
- Play: The Audio Reader will play an audio reading of the text. The play button changes to a pause button or a stop button after it is clicked.
To learn more read the How to Use the Audio Reader article.