The state of California has rules and laws that impact its social studies curriculum. For example, it requires 'fair and equitable coverage' of the LGBTQ+ community. We provide this content in our articles. Each district, school, and teacher can choose if they will cover those articles with students.
Here are the articles in our publications that pertain to California’s social studies content requirements for the LGBTQ+ community:
- Grade 2, Week 34: Alan Turing, Inventors
- Grade 2, Weeks 36: Harvey Milk & Sally Ride, People Making a Difference
- Grade 4, Week 24: Charley Parkhurst: One Tough Stagecoach Driver, gender differences
- Grade 4, Week 33: George Takei, California Industries
- Grade 4, Week 35: Gay Rights Timeline, California Government
- Grade 5, Week 19: Billie Jean King, Equal Rights
- Grade 5, Week 31: The Price of Freedom, Then and Now, Harvey Milk
- Grade 8, Week 5: States Rights, brief mention of same-sex marriage
- Grade 8, Week 24: Charley Parkhurst, gender differences
Please share this list with your peers to assist in selecting the material you feel most appropriate for your students.